As an insurer our task is to offer you insurance, to help you in case of disaster and to compensate you if necessary. These activities require us to process the personal data of (potential) customers and our partners. Processing personal data means collecting, using, storing, protecting, modifying, disclosing and finally erasing the data in accordance with the law.
We thank you for the trust you place in us and attach great importance to the protection of personal data. This Privacy Statement sets out our vision for the protection of your personal data and explains how we use this data, what we do with it and in what legal framework we do it.
We invite you to take the time to read this Privacy Statement carefully. This statement can be modified for its update, the version on our web page being always the most recent version.
1. Who will process your personal data?
Europ Assistance Belgium, whose registered office is at Boulevard du Triomphe 172, 1160 Brussels, VAT BE 0738.431.009 RPM-Brussels, Belgian subsidiary of Europ Assistance SA, insurance company under French law with registered offices at 1, Promenade de la Bonnette à 92230 Gennevilliers, France (451 366 405 RCS Nanterre), recognized under code 0888 for the branches 1,9,13,16 and 18 and monitored by the Banque Nationale de Belgique, Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, 1000 Bruxelles, is responsible for the processing of your personal data. This means that we determine how and for what purposes your personal data will be processed. If you have any questions, suggestions or complaints regarding your personal data, please contact our data protection officer (see 5.9.).
2. What data are we dealing with?
We may process personal data that you have provided to us, such as:
Personal data that identifies you, directly or indirectly, including:
- Identification data (such as your name and date of birth);
- Contact information (such as your address, phone number and email address);
- Bank details for processing your payments (such as your bank account number);
- The composition of your family (such as the name and date of birth of your family members);
- The data on your vehicle (such as the license plate);
- Data about your home;
- Geolocation (if you provide us with this data as part of an assistance file);
- Image and sound recordings;
- Data about your use of our website (via cookies). You will find our cookies policy at the bottom of the page.
We may use data obtained from external sources, such as employers who take out insurance for their workers. This could also be the case for professional data providers for data correction (for example correcting the spelling of your address) and data enrichment.
In some cases, the personal data that you communicate to us is not only about you, but also about one or more of your relationships (eg your children, your spouse, your workers, ...) or about someone who is involved in a disaster file. If you provide us with other people's personal data, you must inform them.
It is possible that within the framework of a file of disaster you communicate to us personal data concerning your health. This data has a higher level of protection and we can only process it as part of our services and claims processing.
3. For what purposes are your personal data processed?
Europ Assistance Belgium will process your personal data for the purposes mentioned below. Only personal data that is relevant for the purposes in question will be processed. When we ask you for personal data, you have the right not to honor our request. This refusal could nevertheless prevent the signature of a contract, modify the nature of the contract or have an influence on the management of the contract.
3.1. Treatment for Policy and Claims Management
We collect, store and process your personal data when necessary to:
- customer relationship management with you as a (potential) customer, with your insurance agent and with business partners who provide services or carry out certain activities on behalf of Europ Assistance
- the subscription, the management and the execution of your insurance contract
- writing a customer profile
- service delivery
- settle claims
We will only process your health data when you provide it to us on your own initiative, directly or through third parties, in order to be able to respond to your explicit request for intervention and to fulfill our contractual obligations under applicable industry law. insurance, including the law of 4 April 2014 on insurance.
3.2. Treatment in accordance with the law
We may use your personal data to comply with the law, for example:
- avoid money laundering and the fight against terrorism;
- the application of MiFID rules;
- the fight against tax fraud;
- the tax obligations of Europ Assistance.
3.3. Treatment for legitimate interests
In the use of personal data for reasons that relate to our legitimate interest, we strive to find the right balance between the interests of Europ Assistance and your right to privacy. This only applies to the situations in which we process your personal data in order to function optimally and to provide you with the best services, for example to:
- the management of our distribution channels;
- the evaluation and improvement of our existing products and services;
- the development of new products and services;
- detection and prevention of abuse and fraud;
- the handling of complaints;
- monitoring and control;
- the protection of goods and people, as well as Europ Assistance's computer systems and networks;
- the recognition, exercise, defense and protection of our rights or the rights of persons we represent, for example in the event of litigation;
- an overview of clients, for example to compile statistics;
- improvement of our internal organization;
- test, evaluate, simplify and optimize our internal processes to make them more efficient;
- test, evaluate, simplify and optimize online systems to improve your user experience;
3.4. Processing for marketing purposes
If you have taken out insurance directly with Europ Assistance as a customer, we may use your data to offer you or present our products and services tailored to your personal situation. Your personal data will not be transferred to third parties for their own prospection and Europ Assistance will not contact you to present products or services of third parties. Our prospection will always be limited to information about the products or services offered by Europ Assistance itself, for which you have already expressed an interest or to which you have already subscribed.
If you have taken out insurance with Europ Assistance indirectly (by a third party), for example via your insurance agent, your employer, your travel agent ..., Europ Assistance will not use your data for the purpose of only after having received the prior consent of that third party (the insurance agent, the employer, the travel agent ...). This third party must obviously have obtained your consent.
4. With whom can we share your personal data?
4.1. In our society
In order to better protect your privacy, your data will only be shared with our employees to the extent that they are needed to complete the tasks assigned to them.
4.2. Transfer your data to other companies within Europ Assistance Group
Your personal data may be shared with other companies within Europ Assistance Group, for example to assess risks, as part of reinsurance or to settle a claim that has occurred abroad.
4.3. Data exchange with third parties
Within the scope of the above stated purposes and to the extent justified, we may obtain or share additional relevant data from the authorities, private insurers, reinsurers, social security, brokers, experts, lawyers and other third parties who are legitimately involved in the drafting or management of the policy or the settlement of a claim or complaint.
If we use a third party to collect unpaid debts or premiums, we can send them your data. For the protection and safeguarding of your data or the management of our IT infrastructure, we may share your personal data with specialized companies, we specifically refer to the service providers for the backup of the data entrusted to us (back -up).
These third parties will have access to the personal data that is necessary for the performance of their respective tasks. At the same time, they have a contractual obligation to Europ Assistance to process your personal data in a secure and confidential manner and to use your personal data only for the purposes for which it has been provided. transferred.
4.4. Transfer of data outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
It is possible that Europ Assistance transfers your personal data to countries outside the European Economic Area, which may not provide an equivalent level of protection for your data. In these cases, Europ Assistance will transfer your data by providing an increased level of protection and by contractually demanding an increased level of protection from its international partners. You have the right to ask us for information concerning the measures taken for the protection of your personal data in case of transfer outside the European Economic Area.
5. What are your rights and how can you exercise them?
5.1. Permission to access
You have the right of access to your personal data.
5.2. Right of correction
You have the right to ask us to correct your data if you find that it is incorrect or incomplete.
5.3. Right to data erasure
In certain well-defined cases you have the possibility to erase your personal data, especially if:
- your personal data are no longer necessary for the purposes for which Europ Assistance has collected them
- the processing of your personal data is solely based on your consent and you decide to withdraw it;
- you have objected to the processing of your personal data and that on the side of Europ Assistance there are no legitimate reasons that exceed yours.
Your right to erasure is not an absolute right. Europ Assistance has the right to continue to store your data if the laws and regulations in force oblige us or allow to store your data.
5.4. Right to restriction of treatment
You can ask us to limit the processing of your data in case:
- you dispute the accuracy of your personal data during the period that Europ Assistance needs to verify this accuracy;
- the treatment is not justified and you do not want to delete your personal data but you want a restriction of their treatment;
- when Europ Assistance no longer needs to process your personal data, but you need it to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims
You have the right to transfer the personal data that you have provided to us or to another controller, as far as technically possible.
5.6. Right to withdraw your consent
If the processing of your personal data by Europ Assistance is based on your consent, you may withdraw it at any time. You must, however, take into account the fact that the withdrawal of your consent may have the direct consequence that the execution of the insurance contract becomes impossible.
5.7. Right of objection
If the processing of your personal data is based on a legitimate interest, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data. However, we will not be able to consider your request if our legitimate interest exceeds yours or if the processing of your personal data remains necessary to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
You can always tell us that we do not have the right to use your data for marketing purposes.
5.8. Right not to be the subject of a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling.
In case of automated processing or profiling, where in the course of treatment there is no human intervention, you always have the right to request the intervention of a Europ Assistance employee and to challenge the automated decision. In particular, when you take out an insurance policy via the forms available on our website, this contract will in principle be concluded automatically on the basis of the information you have entered in your application. We guarantee you that we never use profiling. In addition, you have the possibility to ask at any time the intervention of one of our collaborators.
5.9. Who can you talk to?
For all your questions about your personal data or to exercise the rights described above, you can go to our data protection officer by sending a dated and signed request, with a copy of both sides of your card identity, by post or email.
The contact details of our data protection officer are as follows:
Europ Assistance Belgium Data Protection Officer Boulevard du Triomphe 172 1160 Brussels firstname.lastname@example.org
If you believe that the processing of your personal data is in violation of the law on the protection of privacy, you also have the right to make a complaint to the authority on data protection:
Authority on data protection rue de la Presse 35 1000 Brussels Tel: +32 2 274 48 00 Email: email@example.com
6. How long do we keep your data?
Europ Assistance stores your personal data as long as it is necessary for the purposes described above and as long as required by law. In concrete terms, this means that your personal data will be stored for the duration of your insurance contract, during the limitation period following the last loss covered by the insurance contract and during any other retention period required by the insurance contract. the law.